Why the EU will never have political union
You only have to watch the EU's divided reaction to what is happening in Gaza to understand that there will never be a common foreign policy.
- The Czechs, the leaders of the official EU diplomatic visit, called Israel's move “defensive”, before rapidly withdrawing the remark.
- The Swedish Foreign Minister, Carl Bildt, a member of the EU mission, criticised Israel unequivocally for choosing to “dramatically escalate” the crisis.
- France, which is about to relinquish the EU presidency, called for a ceasefire
- Gordon Brown called for an immediate ceasefire.
- The Dutch Prime Minister said Israel could not be condemned as long as Hamas was firing rockets.